Thursday, October 30, 2014

The Kung Pao Test: Sichuanese Cuisine (Redmond)

My first restaurant was chosen somewhat at random.  I wanted to go somewhere I've never been, so I just searched for Chinese food on the internet and picked one that was near me.

Sichuanese Cuisine
15005 Ne 24th St
Redmond, WA 98052
At 148th & 24th, between a Teriyaki Place and a Five Guys

Service: friendly. Hole in the wall take out style, I grabbed my own menu but I have no doubt they would have brought me one quickly. 2 chefs 1 waitress/cashier.  Kitchen is visible behind counter.  A couple came in who we're obviously regulars, having conversation with the employee.
Tea: decent. Steeped to a good level. Free

Ordered Kung Pao Chicken, ask for extra spicy, 8.95. Steamed rice 75cents.
Initial bite was pretty tasty. It was a little sweeter than I expected. I don't typically think of Kung Pao having noticeable sugar.  Though it did have dry peppers I can't say it was spicy. I only started feeling the heat after I finished my first plate.  Overall I was satisfied with the meal, no doubt.
Spice level: meh. For an average American it may be spicy. It was slightly above baseline for me.
 
Ingredient quality: nothing special. About what you'd expect from the appearance of the place. Definitely not bad at all.
Would I do it differently? A little less sugar and less oil. I don't typically put cabbage in my Kung Pao, but I rather liked it. It caught the sauce nicely.
Would I come again? Definitely. This was a pretty good Kung Pao, I'd like to try their more Americanized staples and some other random items. I ate half the dish, saved the other half for lunch tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment